Clay has worked fulltime as a fee appraiser for over 25 years. He is one of a small group of individuals nationally to hold both the MAI designation from the Appraisal Institute and the ASA designation in Machinery and Technical Specialties (MTS) from the American Society of Appraisers.
Clay has appraised many types of commercial and industrial properties over his long career including office buildings, retail malls, automotive related facilities, vacant sites and development land. However, the primary focus of his practice has long been the appraisal of industrial facilities, with a strong emphasis on agri-business and food processing plants. Other frequent assignments include large, general manufacturing plants and warehouses.
Over the years Clay has appraised many grain elevators including country, shuttle train, river and port elevators. Clay has also appraised many flour mills including hard, soft and durum mills. Other assignments include ethanol plants, soybean crushing plants, bio diesel plants, corn mills (wet), oat mills, malt plants, feed mills (dedicated and commercial), seed plants, specialty mills, dairy processing plants, fruit and vegetable processing plants, meat processing plants, pasta plants, canneries, dry mix plants and general food processing plants.
Having appraised properties in over 30 states, Clay’s appraisal practice is nationally based.
Appraisal assignments often include valuing the real estate and the machinery and equipment (M&E). Appraisals are conducted for mortgage underwriting, ad valorem property assessments, internal decision making and purchase price allocation. Clients include numerous law firms, agri-business firms, assessors, government agencies and some of the largest lending institutions in the country.
- Appraisal Institute - Designated Member (MAI)
- American Society of Appraisers - Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Machinery and Technical Specialties (MTS)
- Certified Real Estate Appraiser
- Minnesota License No.:2001982
- Iowa License No.: CG0782
- Past President of the North Star Chapter of the Appraisal Institute
- Past member of the Appraisal Institute’s national project team for Valuation for financial reporting (VFR)
- Contributing author to The Appraisal of Industrial Real Estate, Appraisal Institute
- Saint Cloud State University, Saint Cloud, MN
- Bachelor of Science Degree
- Major: Industrial Technology with emphasis in Building Construction
- Minor: Management & Finance with emphasis in Commercial Real Estate
- Substantial coursework completed in the MBA program from the University of Minnesota’s Carlson School of Business