Michael Rodriguez is the Leader for Market Research & Insights for the Washington, D.C.-Baltimore region. As the area thought leader on market trends, economics, and data, he works closely with CBRE’s research and marketing teams across all asset types. He has experience in public policy, urban planning, economics, land use, statistics, and geospatial methods.
Most recently, Mr. Rodriguez was Director of Research for the George Washington University Center for Real Estate and Urban Analysis. While there, he co-authored major reports (with Christopher Leinberger) such as WalkUP, Wake-Up Call: New York (2017), and Foot Traffic Ahead 2016: Measuring Walkability in America’s Largest Metros.
Mr. Rodriguez’ broad professional background in real estate and infrastructure includes advising clients such as the World Bank’s transport group, the California High Speed Rail Authority, and the Washington Area Metropolitan Transit Authority. He is an expert in fiscal and economic impacts of real estate and infrastructure projects, having advised dozens of public agencies and private sector clients on market trends, economic impacts, and benefit-cost analysis. At Smart Growth America, where he serves as visiting research director, he led the development of a nationally-leading fiscal impact of development model for state and local governments.
Active in professional organizations, Mr. Rodriguez is an associate member of the Urban Land Institute in the Washington District Council, and a member of the ULI Professional Advisory Services Honorary Association. He is a member of the American Planning Association an AICP certified planner. His activities with the Transportation Research Board include published and presented research ranging from the economics of car-sharing to statistical models of infrastructure and pedestrian fatalities and safety.
Mr. Rodriguez is pursuing a Ph.D. in Public Policy and Public Administration at the George Washington University Trachtenberg School, where he focuses on urban policy. He holds an M.S. in Urban and Regional Planning and an M.P.A. from the University of Wisconsin – Madison La Follette School.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP # 025763)
- American Planning Association, Member
- Urban Land Institute, Associate Member
- Washington District Council, Member
- Professional Advisory Services Honorary Association, Member
- Transportation Research Board
- Committee on Transportation & Land Development
- Committee on Transportation Issues in Major Cities
- Ph.D. (forthcoming), Urban Policy, George Washington University Trachtenberg School
- M.S. Urban & Regional Planning, University of Wisconsin – Madison
- M.P.A, University of Wisconsin – Madison La Follette School