Katrin Gist has developed a national airport real estate practice at CBRE, focused on representing clients in their purchase, sale and leasing of airport properties, and is the chairwoman of Aviation Properties. Clients include fixed base operators, aircraft maintenance facilities and services centers, charter operators, and those companies with hangar and office space requirements located on the tarmac. Her extensive experience in the aviation industry allows Ms. Gist to provide insights to her clients beyond the scope of general industrial brokers.
Prior to joining CBRE, Ms. Gist practiced law as an attorney at Lane Powell PC for over five years. At Lane Powell, she was an integral part of Lane Powell’s business group, with a focus on aircraft transactions. Ms. Gist advised clients on general business and corporate law, aircraft acquisition, disposition, operation, leasing and financing, as well as Federal Aviation Administration regulatory matters.
Ms. Gist represented numerous corporate and private purchasers and sellers of aircraft, assisting clients in forming operating structures that worked to shield tax, FAA and general liabilities. During many of these transactions she also negotiated her clients’ aircraft hangar leases. She assisted purchasers of Boeing aircraft from all over the world, including the B-787 aircraft, with Boeing contract negotiations, analysis, and the consequences for delayed delivery dates. In addition, Ms. Gist worked with foreign airlines regarding foreign ownership requirements and domestic acquisitions, which required close contact with the Department of Transportation.
Having worked as a transactional attorney, personally closing and/or working on over one billion dollars worth of transactions, Ms. Gist has a thorough understanding of the purchase, selling, and leasing process and the related intricacies involved. Her legal background offers clients an unique and advantageous skill set. Ms. Gist has the drive, knowledge and capability to obtain superior results for her clients.
Ms. Gist is a German citizen and a native speaker, reader and writer of German. From time to time she has appeared as an aviation expert on Fox News. View a clip here
Professional Affiliations and Accreditations
- Recipient of CBRE company-wide Rising Star award
- American Association of Airport Executives – Member
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW Puget Sound Chapter)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- King County Bar Association Aviation Section - Past President (2009 – 2010), Vice President (2008 – 2009), Treasurer (2007 – 2008)
- International Aviation Women’s Association
- Pacific Northwest Business Aviation Association
- Guest Lecturer (Aviation Law), Seattle University School of Law
- Seattle University, School of Law, J.D. with honors — 2007
- University of Washington, Bachelor of Arts with honors in International Political Economy, German Language and Literature — 2002