John Richards has over 25 years of commercial real estate experience and is the Director of CBRE of Virginia’s Debt & Structured Finance group. As First Vice President, Mr. Richards leads a Team in arranging senior debt, mezzanine debt and joint venture equity for a wide variety of multi-family apartment, commercial office, retail, industrial and other properties. The Team is comprised of real estate finance professionals who work collaboratively with the other groups within CBRE to secure funds from a wide range of capital sources including Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac, FHA, pension funds, investments banking institutions, debt funds, family offices, mezzanine funds, mortgage REITS and commercial banks.
Prior to joining CBRE|Hampton Roads, Mr. Richards was a Vice President with GMAC Commercial Mortgage Corporation in Virginia Beach, Virginia for nine years. Prior to that, Mr. Richards served as a Vice President and Regional Manager for Signet Bank (now Wells Fargo) in Norfolk, Virginia. He began his career in Washington DC at Bank of America predecessor, Sovran Bank. While at Sovran, his responsibilities ranged from loan origination and management of commercial real estate portfolios to management, work out and restructure of the Bank’s troubled asset portfolio.
- Chairman's Club, GMAC Commercial Mortgage Corporation
Professional Affiliations and Accreditations
- Hampton Roads Association of Commercial Real Estate (Member)
- Urban Land Institute (Guest Speaker/Panelist)
- ODU E. V. Williams Center for R/E (Former Board Member)
- Mortgage Bankers Association (Member of Mortgage Action Alliance)
- Virginia Beach United Methodist Church
- Virginia Beach Educational Foundation (Former Board Member)
- Bachelor of Science Economics/Business Management, Randolph-Macon College
- Numerous Post Graduate banking and real estate related courses since 1986 including Real Estate Law, Valuation & Appraisal, and Real Estate Investments & Capitalization.