With over 30 years of experience in Debt & Structured Finance, John Nelson is a nationally recognized market leader in real estate investment banking, with financing volume in excess of $4 billion. Mr. Nelson’s financing transaction experience includes a variety of asset types, such as construction/development, bridge/value add, forwards, mezzanine, credit lines, portfolios, preferred equity and joint ventures. He also works with a wide range of clients, including institutional (both foreign and domestic), developers and investors of all types.
Mr. Nelson brings decades of experience in successfully structuring all types of transactions. His knowledge of the business and close relationships with key decision makers of major capital sources translate to a distinct advantage for his clients. Mr. Nelson’s investors and capital sources include life insurance companies, pension funds, opportunity funds, national, regional and international investment banks, REITs and other structured investment vehicles.
Prior to joining CBRE, Mr. Nelson was the President and CEO for Capital Investment Growth, Inc. (CIGCO) for eight years, a real estate investment and finance firm he founded. Prior to CIGCO, Mr. Nelson excelled at Prometheus Development Company for three years as the Director of Acquisitions and Dispositions. He also spent four years at Century Partners/Fox Carskadon Financial as Vice President of Acquisitions, responsible for acquiring property for public and private funds throughout the Western United States. In both of these roles, Mr. Nelson structured major acquisitions and Institutional Joint Ventures on both existing/stabilized assets, as well as ground up development. Mr. Nelson handled and coordinated all aspects of the capitalization including arranging for both interim and long term financing.
- Mixed Use Development - Main Street Cupertino Construction - $160,000,000
- Permanent Financing - Main Street Cupertino - Office: $100,000,000 Retail: $76,000,000
- Woodland Park 1800 Multifamily Units - Agency Credit Facility $330,000,000
- Netflix Headquarters Construction/Development - $100,000,000
- Dual-Brand Marriott Hotel Construction/Development - San Jose, CA - $54,000,000
- Centennial Towers Phase I - South San Francisco, CA - $140,000,000
- 2 Rodeo Drive (financed twice) - $100,000,000 Novo Nordisk Headquarters - $53,000,000
- British Aerospace Systems (BAE) Building - $24,700,000
- IBM Corporate Building - $21,250,000
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation/Sutter Health Construction-to-Permanent - $10,850,000
- 2016 – Top 20% of the originators/producers in the Americas
- Consistently ranked in the Million Dollar Club for CBRE Debt & Structured Finance
- Consistently recognized in the Northern California Recognition Conference of Top Brokers
- Past member of the Colbert Coldwell Circle and Top 5 Brokers in CBRE’s San Francisco office
- Member of Bay Area Mortgage Association
- Member of Mortgage Banker’s Association
- Member of Urban Land Institute
- Licensed Mortgage Broker & Real Estate Broker in California
- University of New Mexico, Bachelor of Science; Mathematics & Psychology
- Graduate Study, San Jose University; Business & Psychology