James Whalen is currently an Executive Vice President at CBRE and is the leader of the Midwest Advisory & Transaction Consulting function. Mr. Whalen’s focus is to use his strategic planning background, analytical skills, negotiating expertise and vast major transaction experience to successfully execute CBRE’s most significant transactions.
Mr. Whalen joined CBRE following its 2003 merger with Insignia/ESG. In the past 15 years, he has been nominated by NAIOP 11 times, winning 6 Transaction of the Year awards. He has successfully completed over 6,000,000 square feet of corporate headquarters transactions since 2003.
In 1999 Mr. Whalen transferred from the Insignia/ESG’s New York operations to Chicago, was promoted to Managing Director of Consulting, Midwest Region and became a member of the Midwest Management Committee. Mr. Whalen first joined Insignia/ESG in 1992 as a regional manager of the firm's financial and strategic planning services. At the time, he brought four years of strategic planning/analysis and two years of real estate consulting experience to the company. Prior to attending graduate business school and joining Insignia/ESG, Mr. Whalen was a strategic planning analyst at the Bank of New York and at American Express in Manhattan.
- Colbert Coldwell Circle & Top 100/200 Professional, Americas: 2005-2011, 2013-2017
- NAIOP Downtown Office Transaction of the Year: 2015, 2016
- Greater Chicago Food Depository Deal of the Year Award: 2016
- Finalist for the Greater Chicago Food Depository Broker of the Year Award: 2015, 2016
- CBRE Regional Top Ten Producer: 2005-2011, 2013-2017