Gualberto (Gil) Medina has worked as an attorney and Certified Public Accountant (CPA), and has also developed extensive expertise in management, sales, business development, technology, and regulatory matters. He has participated in the formulation of technology policy in various capacities as the Secretary of Commerce for the State of New Jersey.
He has served on boards in various industry sectors including government, non-profits, health care, life sciences, medical devices, law, accounting, business process outsourcing, media, business services, and information technology. Because of his well-rounded background and outlook, he has come to understand how business decisions impact cash flow, taxes, finances, regulatory compliance, human resources, and general business operations.
Gil joined CBRE in June 2013 as an Executive Vice President and Gil provides and coordinates integrated real estate solutions for corporate, governmental, non-profit and academic organizations. He is responsible for local and global business development across all CBRE service lines including: Advisory & Transaction Services for office, industrial and retail; Asset Services; Project Management; and Financial Consulting.
As part of developing and expanding major account service offerings, Gil provides corporate occupiers with multi-disciplinary, high-level strategic advisory expertise. As former New Jersey Commerce Secretary, Gil was the point-person in the creation of incentive, finance and regulatory programs that constitute the state’s core economic growth policies. He remains a key voice in the New Jersey and national commercial real estate industry, the larger business community, and public/private sector efforts that support economic strength.
Working as a real estate professional at two of the world’s largest commercial real estate companies, Gil represented multi-national companies, technology companies, governmental entities, and academic institutions with their facilities and location requirements. Gil led New Jersey’s international trade and investment promotion strategies. In that capacity, he worked with senior government officials and executives of multi-national corporations to encourage investment and trade with New Jersey. In 1999, he attended both the World Economic Forum as a senior New Jersey representative – and was one of four Americans invited to participate in the “Guest Program for Foreign Government Executives” of the Federal Republic of Germany – and the WTO Ministerial Meetings in Seattle. Gil also engaged in extensive international business development as the Vice President of International Marketing for a major VOIP telecommunications company.
Boards and Organizations
- Board of Directors of Solix Corporation (a process outsourcing firm that employs approximately 1,000 people throughout the U.S.), Chairperson
- Thomas Edison State University (TESU is one of New Jersey's 11 senior public institutions of higher education and one of the first schools in the country designed specifically for adults. Gil served a two-year term as Chairman and remains on the Board of Trustees.), Gubernatorial Appointment
- Vice Chairperson, Board of Trustees – Puerto Rico Science, Technology & Research Trust – Gubernatorial Appointment. The mission of the Trust is to promote science and technology research and development projects in Puerto Rico; to provide financial support for the infrastructure construction needs of scientists and researchers; and to provide the tools necessary to market their discoveries to the world.
- New Jersey Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors/Executive Committee
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), Board of Directors/Executive Committee
- Rutgers University – Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, Chairman of the Dean's Leadership Council
- Rutgers University School of Business, Advisory Board
- Rutgers Center for Real Estate, Advisory Board and Executive Committee
- Custom Spine, Inc. (The company offers spinal fixation systems, implants, and instruments. We successfully sold the company to Amendia, Inc., which engineers, manufactures, and markets medical devices for spinal surgical procedures.), Board of Directors
- Caucus Education Corporation (a prominent news and communications organization.), Board of Trustees
- Friends of Beloved Charter Schools, Board of Trustees
- Puerto Rico Consortium for Clinical Investigation, Board of Directors
- St. Joseph’s Regional Medical System, Board of Trustees
- The President of Brazil conferred on Gil the Rank of Commander in the National Order of Cruzeiro do Sul (Comendador del Ordem Nacional do Cruzeiro do Sul). This is an honor bestowed on foreign nationals by the Republic of Brazil, in recognition of valuable services rendered to the Republic and its citizens.
- Hispanic Business Magazine 100 most influential Hispanics
- Inducted into the New Jersey Business Hall of Fame
- Selected as one of New Jersey Monthly Magazine’s 101 most influential people in the state
- Named to NJ Biz’s Real Estate Industry “Power 50”
- City Councilman in the City of Camden, NJ
- Elected Delegate-at-Large to several Republican National Conventions.
- Served as Co-Chairman - New Jersey State Republican Committee.
- Served on Democratic Governor, Jon Corzine’s, New Jersey Real Estate Advisory Board and on his Financial Restructuring and Debt Reduction Advisory Committee.
- Advisor to former Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell. Mayor Rendell also served as the Chairman of the Democratic National Committee and Governor of Pennsylvania.
- Served on the Informal Experts Group on IP Telephony of the International Telecommunication Union's World Policy Forum on IP Telephony. Served as a resource person for the ITU, the Federal Communications Commission and the U.S. Department of State on telecommunications policy
- New Jersey Biotechnology Industry Organization Distinguished Service Award.
- The US Biotechnology Industry Organization State Executive of the Year
- National Association of Industrial and Commercial Properties Industry Service Award
- The U.S. Biotechnology Industry Organization State Executive of the Year
- Executive Managing Director, Cushman & Wakefield of New Jersey
- President/General Counsel, start-up Biotechnology firm
- Vice President of International Marketing, VOIP Firm
- Secretary of Commerce for the State of New Jersey
- Manager at two Regional CPA Firms in Philadelphia
- Attorney-Advisor U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Temple University
̶ Juris Doctor. Passed the Bar and practiced law for 17 years.
̶ 21 credits in accounting. Became certified as a CPA and practiced accounting for 12 years.
- Rutgers University, Bachelor of Arts