Stephen Bay is a trusted real estate advisor to many of the most acclaimed professional service firms and industry-leading corporations in the Western U.S. With over three decades of experience, he has represented hundreds of tenants in successful lease transactions totaling over 25 million square feet of space.
Mr. Bay has devoted his career to the exclusive representation of office occupiers, with a specialization in the occupancy strategies of the world’s premier law firms. He is widely regarded as one of the industry’s leading tenant representation specialists and law firm leasing experts—and he consistently ranks among CBRE’s top brokerage professionals worldwide.
Mr. Bay has been a valued member of CBRE’s Brokerage division since 2003 when the firm acquired his prior company, Insignia/ESG (IESG). He was recruited by IESG from Studley in 1998 to build and run the firm’s Southern California Brokerage group. In partnership with Clay Hammerstein, he grew the new division into one of the region’s most respected occupier practices and led the firm’s business development and service delivery efforts in Los Angeles and Orange County throughout his tenure with the firm. Before joining IESG, Mr. Bay was a top sales professional with Studley. He also managed Studley’s downtown Los Angeles office and sat on the firm’s Board of Directors.
An authority on the evolving trends and real estate needs of the legal industry, Mr. Bay co-founded CBRE’s International Law Firm Practice Group. He is one of the group’s chairmen and jointly leads the group’s division in the West. Mr. Bay provides a range of services to his law firm clients—from lease negotiation on their headquarter space to managing their real estate portfolios to assisting with opening branch offices across the West and in his primary markets of downtown Los Angeles and Orange County.
Mr. Bay is a talented tenant advocate, skilled at securing superior transaction terms for his clients and advising them on their real estate strategies. He is a respected partner to his clients and an esteemed mentor and leader at CBRE. Mr. Bay is also an active leader internally at CBRE. He has been a six-year member of CBRE’s 20-member America’s Producer Advisory Board and is currently the Chairman of the Board. He also is the Producer leader of CBRE’s national Producer Mentor Program.
- CBRE/National Edward S. Gordon Award Recipient (2012)
- Among top 10% of CBRE Award Recipient (2018)
- Among Top 25 CBRE Office Professionals Nationwide (2010)
- Among Top 20 CBRE Professionals Nationwide (2009)
- Colbert Coldwell Circle Member- Ranked in top 3% of CBRE professionals worldwide (2003-2016, 2018)
- Real Estate Forum – Ranked 4 out of Top 20 Leasing Brokers (2015)
- Real Estate Southern California’s Annual Top Broker List (2000-2014)
- LA Business Journal Awards Broker of the Year, Largest Lease Value, Team (2011, 2012, 2013)
- LA Business Journal Awards Broker of the Year, Best Office Lease, Largest Single Transaction (2010, 2014, 2015)
- Commercial Property News, Top Brokers in the U.S. List (1991, 2003)
- Frequently quoted in Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Los Angeles Business Journal, Daily Journal, Commercial Property News and Wall Street Journal, Law 360
- UCLA, Bachelor of Science; Business and Economics (double major)
- AEW Capital Management
- Baker & McKenzie
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
- Oaktree Capital Management
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
- Perkins Coie
- Pricewaterhouse Coopers
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
- Sempra Energy
- Sidley Austin
- Southern California Gas Co.